Without a doubt, a child’s experience from the prenatal period to age five are the most critical to a child’s development. These years shape a child’s success in school and in life. First 5 San Diego has been hugely influential in shaping children’s futures by educating parents and others on how to help children during these early years. Their goal is to help ensure that every child in San Diego County enters school ready to succeed.
Baby-Steps was recognized in contributing to this goal by providing enriching and educational prenatal exercise opportunities for moms-to-be. Research has proven time and time again that exercising throughout pregnancy improves your child’s neurological, mental and physical development. Recent research also shows that children of exercising mothers consistently score better in reading comprehension, arithmetic and problem solving subjects than children of mothers who were sedentary during pregnancy. These results go hand-in-hand with the values, vision and mission of the “First 5 San Diego” program and gives parents the power to help their children fill their window of potential.
Read on for an in depth look into “First 5 San diego” :
Values, Vision, Mission and Core Functions
The values, vision, mission and core functions of the First 5 Commission of San Diego County are the starting point for action and investment at the regional and community levels. At the most basic level, theses statements articulate how the Commission approaches the work that it does, and what it strives to accomplish through its efforts.
In all that it does, the Commission holds to these values:
- Children: We honor and celebrate children and every child.
- Parents: We support the role of parents as the child’s first and best teachers.
- Communities: We believe strong communities help create healthy children and families.
- Inclusion: We embrace and serve the diversity of San Diego’s communities.
- Partnership: We collaborate to create a seamless system of care and support for children and families.
- Results: We are committed to achieving real and sustainable results, demonstrating accountability, and attaining measureable outcomes.
The ultimate goal of the Commission’s work is that all children ages 0 to 5 are healthy, are loved and nurtured, and enter school as active learners
The First 5 Commission of San Diego County leads the San Diego community in promoting the vital importance of the first 5 years of life to the well-being of children, families and society
The Commission conducts its mission through these key functions:
- Funding services and activities to achieve desired results.
- Advocating for policy change at local and state levels.
- Acting as a catalyst and leader for coordinting, integrating and leveraging existing resources.
- Building community and organizational capacity to support families.
Strengthen the relationships essential for the healthy development of young children.
These relationships are embedded in health, learning, family and community settings or environments